Saturday, October 6, 2007

Long Weekend at Myrtle Beach...

The last couple of years I have not seemed to be able to get enough BEACH time... Maybe it's all those years of only going to the lake or the fact that we did not go to the beach for over 10 yrs straight, but then again, does anybody ever get enough beach time?? Well, for the last 3 years every time we have went to the beach it has only left me yearning for yet more time there. Last year I tried really hard to plan a late summer or early fall trip.... but after the life changing events of last fall we never quite made it there... To say the least, huh? SO... a few months ago looking ahead at our calendar & crying because summer was OVER, I realized that the boys had 2 days out of school in late summer & I was exhausted so what better time to take a long weekend at the beach??? We searched many options & finally decided to go to Myrtle Beach.



I spent so many summers at Myrtle Beach as a kid & as we started planning; I first realized that we had not gone to Myrtle Beach in over 15 yrs (really, not on purpose... but time really does FLY) & then I began to get excited at all the options of stuff to do with the kids & couldn't wait to share such a special place from my childhood with my own children. Well, let me just say Myrtle Beach has changed a lot in 15 yrs.... the Pavilon is GONE (nothing but a big empty lot), which I knew about; but to see it first hand is SHOCKING & SAD!! Steven just couldn't understanding why I wanted to ride up & down the "Strand" numerous times or why I was excited to do so! & had no idea what the "Gay Dolphin" was or why I got excited to see it, either!?! (It is one of the things I do remember that is still there) But regardless how much things had changed... In my mind I could recall so many precious & priceless memories from my past.... Oh Yeah, did I mention the flash backs of being "tortured" by my big brother? Let me share... You know after such a long ride as a kid I can always remember how exciting the FIRST view of the actual ocean/beach was, something I remember in my mind as always being a big deal not only to me but also my family. Well, just as we turned onto the road to go to our hotel...there it was... That first glimpse of ocean, just as I had remembered it in my mind! & At that exact moment in my excitement & trying to share that with the boys & Steven (who all thought Mommy had LOST it) The flashbacks began....of being sat on & held back in the back seat so that I could not see the beach or the ocean by my BIG brother all while Oohing & Ahhing about his great view.... Yep, Torture... I Started to call him right then & there & THANK him for that "torture", but instead I just enjoyed the moments of reflection & realized what I thought was "torture" then was now a wonderful memory from my childhood! (Thanks, Jimmie!) ;o) It was about that time that Logan asked what house were we staying at this time, as we have stayed in a house with my whole family every time he has ever been to the beach, so I said... we are not staying in a house this time we are staying in a hotel...he responds.... "What's a hotel?" I looked at Steven, like really he has no idea what a hotel is??? could this be?? & as we brainstormed we could not recall of 1 time that we had actually stayed in a hotel since he had been born! Shocking, yeah I know! I was shocked also! "My poor deprived child!" not really, I guess just lucky & fortunate! He has no idea!

We stayed at the Dunes, which has a spectacular indoor water park, complete with lazy river, kiddie pool, hot tubs & 2 slides, big enough that even us grown kids could enjoy! :o) The place wasn't quite what Steven & I pictured in our minds, but at the end of the weekend we could not of asked for anything better! It seems like we ran from the moment we go there to the day we came home. Water park in the morning, beach in the afternoon, dinner & Broadway in the evening. We had a blast!! The boys were great... except for the fact that they wore out several nights before we were done running but hey.... it all worked out! A few nights we had children sleeping at the dinner table or falling asleep in the car before we even got to dinner but they were troopers & kept on going. ( We did try to alter the plan & get a nap in... but they were too excited & yet even though tired, when the sun was up.... there was no napping no matter how hard we tried.)

Logan got a little more brave in the water & began to swim under water! (This a big step for him!) YEAHHH!!! & Seth continued to jump in like a pro... still no idea that he can't swim & Mommy tried really hard to sit back & let him realize that... but there's only so long that you can watch your child under water with eyes open staring back at you... with no intention of trying to get back to the top! By the end of the weekend he was almost resurfacing but far from swimming or really trying! UGHHH!!! The boys just loved the Jacuzzi tub in the room & that's where they retired too after we came home from the beach every day... as Logan said... This tub is a great bubble maker! :o) Bubble beards & all it was great seeing them play together as they usually can't agree to like & share the same things! We went to Broadway several nights & the boys loved all the rides!! For Logan the more scary the better!! His favorite was the catipillar... fowards...backwards 3 times straight! He loved it! Yikes... my stomach is not what it used to be! Thank Goodness, Steven & I took turns & we survived just fine. Logan kept begging to get on the Pirate Ship... Thank Goodness he didn't make the height requirements for that one!! :o) ::WHEW!!:: Seth loved all the rides too... The Cars, the Motorcycles... he even wanted to ride the big rides just like Brother... He also liked the faster rides! Giggling non stop. "Agin... Agin" :o) he would ask! Unfortunately my camera died while we were at the rides so my pic's are limited :o( More Priceless moments!

We wanted to go to the Museum in Columbia in route & to the Aquarium at the Beach but time was not on our side & really a nap was more important! :o) Regardless I don't think we could have had a better time! & Logan's summary of the weekend.... "This is the BEST Beach trip EVER!!! I want to come back here forever!! " When asked what he liked best.... "The Elevator!!".... What???... what about the water park...the rides... the ocean???? "Oh yeah, I liked that too" he said.

Overall, Job accomplished... This weekend alone was a weekend that I will never forget! Just as special as all those times I went there as a kid with my family!! & A very special weekend for the boys! Maybe next year we will try to brave the crowds of summer at Myrtle Beach... to see those faces of excitement & happiness again... It would most definetly be worth it!! :o) As for rest...well we didn't get too much of that but I did have 4 days off with no work so I am not complaining! :o) We rolled back into reality on Monday afternoon & was shot out of the cannon!! T-ball practice, Meeting a work, Softball practice, Dr's appt, On call day for work, Tball game... This is my life & I love it!! But... Can we go back to the beach???

Until next time!

No comments: